Believe it or not (well, I can’t believe it too before), there are traits and personality that are common on most programmers.
Just a reminder, these are just based on my own observation on programmers I met. I don’t generalized, but I believe in it. The purpose of this post is to help the newbies know if they have same characteristics most programmers have. If none of these is applicable for you, don’t lose hope. It’s always your will and guts to decide.
1. Programmers are into a music genre. As what I’ve observed, most of them listen’s only to one genre. Most programmers are easy to distract on external noise, so they tend to listen loud on a music genre they love. For me, I only have four playlists – Goth, Punk, Classic and Alternative.
2. Programmers are lawyers. They are always ready to debate on issues they think they have a point. They are ready to debate for their beliefs and philosophies in life.
3. Programmers are artists. As programming is an art too, they have an eye to appreciate work of arts.
4. Programmers are writers. I already said it to a friend before. Programmers are natural writers, we just use a different language.
5. Programmers are futurists. We develop programs for future and not for past. Though, every detail in the past is a lesson learned. We do debug-and-test for future scenarios.
6. Programmers love signatures. They love putting their names on their codes. Just like an artist embedding their name on their works. Of course, we don’t want our work to be a victim of copy-and-paste without any tribute.
7. Programmers are clever. Clever in a way that once they learn new thing, they will create at least a simple program for it. Most of the learning came from this trait.
8. Programmers don’t memorize codes. Just like what others are thinking, memorizing codes is difficult. But put it your mind that we never memorize codes. We just understand the process.
9. That’s all for my observation. I hope you learned something.
10. Class dismiss.