In today’s society, everything of importance is performed on a computer. To perform any task on computer we need an application and environment to do it in, these applications are the outcome of lots of programming to make them perform specific tasks. There are two main types of computer application:
- Web application
- Desktop application
When developing each of these applications there is an individual developer.
- A web developer is the programmer who develops web applications also known as websites. These applications are for the World Wide Web that runs on a distributed network from web server to web browser.
- Web developers must have the knowledge on the optimization techniques for search engines, because as a developer most on-site whitehat optimization is their responsibility. For the best web site development and performance one should opt for digital media agency which has web developers with very good SEO knowledge and best computer practices.
Features of web application
Applications developed by web developers contain these features:
- Compatible with browsers: different users use different browsers and versions, so the application must be compatible with all browsers.
- Centralized control: because of centralized control these applications are secure and easy
- Global reach: Anyone, anytime and anywhere in the world can access these applications
- More complex: they take more time to develop because of complexity.
Role of the Desktop application developer
- Desktop application developers develop desktop applications which run on standalone computers or laptops.
- These applications mainly have to two tiers, front end and back end. Front end is the design part of the application and back end consist of the database.
- Desktop application developers don’t require any knowledge about optimization techniques as they are not related with search engines.
- No installation required: as all the systems have browsers there is no need for installation.
Features of desktop application
Desktop applications have these features:
- Suitable system specification: the stand-alone system must meet the application hardware and software requirement specifications.
- Maintenance: These applications require less maintenance than web application.
- Fast processing: process is fast because of the individual user.
- Low security risk: because of standalone processes, no security risk is involved
- Need to install: have to install on the computer or laptop
Guest post by Kate Ford – Tech writer from the UK. Catch her @thetechlegend on Twitter.