We love our Air Jordans – no matter which model. Here, my boys don on their Air Jordan Son of Mars low – on our way to the gym. (We will be playing basketball, table tennis, badminton, tennis, beach volleyball with friends.)
These pairs are comfortable, they’re very well-padded around the toe box and ankle which gives a very supportive feel. Since they are high-cut even though named ‘low’, you are surely protected when a fall happens while playing. However, we find our other basketball shoes to be more comfortable when playing so we tend to wear these Air Jordans only when walking about.
Son of Mars
The Air Jordan Son of Mars is a hybrid design from the Jordan Brand and Spike Lee- referencing the “Mars Blackmon” character frequently featured in Air Jordan ad spots. This Jordan hybrid has soft, pliable upper sole that doesn’t feel painful when moving about. The clean design, albeit a combination of different Air Jordan models and signature cement print, goes well with most outfits, be it shorts, jogging pants, or jeans. The outsoles for these different pairs are all white (grape, green glow, red uppers).
The Air Jordan Son of Mars is a hybrid sneaker model that combines elements from several iconic Air Jordan models. As a result, it has been released in various colorways throughout its history. Some notable colorways of the Air Jordan Son of Mars include:
- The grape-black-ice white (release date : April 27, 2013) and the black/green glow-anthracite-cement grey (release date: August 31, 2013) colorways are not usual for us, as we usually go with black and white, gray, red, black, blue or a combination of any of these colors.
- “Black Cement” (release date :August 2012) This colorway draws inspiration from the classic “Black Cement” color scheme of the Air Jordan 3. It features a predominantly black upper with elephant print overlays, red accents, and a white midsole.
- “Bordeaux” (release date : September 2012) This colorway takes cues from the Air Jordan 7 “Bordeaux” color scheme. It showcases a mix of dark grey, black, and Bordeaux (purplish-red) hues, along with contrasting white and grey accents.
- “Fire Red” (release date:October 2012) Inspired by the Air Jordan 5 “Fire Red,” this colorway features a predominantly white upper with black and Fire Red accents. It incorporates reflective elements and a translucent outsole.
- “Gym Red“(release date : February 2013) This colorway predominantly utilizes Gym Red, a vibrant red shade. It combines it with black and white accents throughout the upper, creating a bold and eye-catching look.For the little boy who loves red, it’s fitting to get him this pair in his favorite color. I guess we both love red.
Here are some key features and details of the Air Jordan Son of Mars:
- Hybrid Design: The Son of Mars blends design elements from several classic Air Jordan models, including the Air Jordan III, IV, V, VI, and XX. This fusion of iconic elements gives the shoe a distinctive and eclectic appearance.
- Leather Upper: The upper of the shoe is typically constructed from a combination of leather and synthetic materials, providing durability and support.
- Velcro Ankle Strap: One of the notable features of the Son of Mars is the Velcro ankle strap that wraps around the collar. This strap enhances ankle support and adds a unique design element.
- Air-Sole Units: Like many Air Jordan models, the Son of Mars incorporates Nike’s Air-Sole cushioning units in the heel and forefoot. This technology is designed to provide responsive cushioning and impact protection.
- Unique Colorways: The Son of Mars has been released in a variety of colorways over the years, allowing sneaker enthusiasts to choose the style that suits their preferences.
- Spike Lee Collaboration: The name “Son of Mars” is a reference to Spike Lee, who played Mars Blackmon in the famous Air Jordan advertisements with Michael Jordan. Spike Lee has a longstanding association with the Jordan Brand, and this shoe pays homage to that collaboration.
- Jumpman Logo: The iconic Jumpman logo, representing Michael Jordan, is prominently featured on the shoe. It can be found on the tongue, heel, and other parts of the shoe’s design.
- High-Top Silhouette: The Son of Mars typically features a high-top silhouette, providing ankle support and a classic basketball shoe look.
- Tongue and Heel Tabs: The shoe often includes pull tabs on the tongue and heel, making it easier to put on and take off.
The Air Jordan Son of Mars was designed to pay tribute to the rich history of the Air Jordan line while offering a fresh and unique take on the brand’s classic designs. It has been a popular choice among sneaker enthusiasts who appreciate its fusion of iconic elements and distinctive style. Since my knowledge is based on information available up to September 2021, there may have been new releases or developments related to the Son of Mars since then.
Air Jordans and more – spot which ones are Son of Mars 🙂