It’s gone colder in our region, well, autumn has officially started, no wonder. It could mean more time out taking photos with the kids with earth colors as a theme or staying indoors and doing more artsy and fun stuff. That won’t always be the case though, autumn is a good time to enjoy the outdoors too and do some chores.
Here’s some of the things you can do to make autumn enjoyable.
1. Take photographs of the kids with all the leaves around. This is an annual thing for us, every season.
2. Pick up chestnuts and make fun figures with them. It could be a cow, a man or anything that the kids could create.
3. Stroll around the city and drink hot cocoa or tea from the many stalls gathered around.
4. Go apple picking and cherry picking. Make caramel apples and bake apfelstrudel or cherry oatmeal cookies after.
5. Cut up leaf decorations in different colors. You can use felt paper and hang them around the house. Your white internal doors will surely look lively with them.
6. Visit craft and autumn festivals and actually craft something.
7. Cook soup. Let the kids cut up vegetables, have the broth season with salt and then have the soup together with freshly baked bread.
8. Play football at the field and roll around the ground a couple of times.
9. Go camping and roast marshmallows or better, make smores! No kid can say no to those. (I’m a kid too.)
10. Walk along a path laden with dried leaves and just enjoy the smell of the earth.
11. Plant something. It could be herb seeds or bulbs to get ready for in spring. This is a good way to expose them to nature.
12. Visit the barn, pet the rabbits and go horseback riding when you can.
13. Take out those gardening tools and start pruning and weeding. They would not grow as fast as they would in summer. Let the kids pull out some.
14. Go green and make compost. Those leaves and the greens you pruned and weeded will make for good earth food.
15. Go candle-hunting. The smell of the earth could sometimes overwhelm you, lit up candles that would remind you of spring, I recommend lavender, a personal favorite.
16. Bake doughnuts of flavors by request.
17. If you get lazy, you can always rely on your Wii fitness games to make a day less boring. Kids would always love playing tennis and dance around, even at the confines of home.
18. Finally, go shopping. I’m sure there’d be lots of items on sale and it’s good therapy, always had, always will.